Have you ever tried crying kunwari in front of your kids?
I have. A lot of times. Just wanted to see how Chloe and Blythe would react.
During the first few times, only Chloe would come rushing to me while saying "Mama's crying. What happened, mom? Listen to me mom. What's wrong?" She hugs me tight and rubs my back to comfort me.
Now, Blythe would do the same and hug me and kiss me.
So what's the point?
I realize that our children's behavior is a reflection of ours. That is what I do to them when i find them hurt or troubled. Blythe obviously models after big sis.
I find myself being more calm nowadays, and now able to control outbursts (well, still a work in progress) in front of the kids. I would often repeat to myself: "speak with love and act with gratitude" -- and you know what? It has made a noticeable difference with the girls. They are more responsive. I recently read a blog about letting go of perfectionism especially for kids. I agree with the author. At the end of the day, i want my kids to learn to pick themselves up when they fall, that in order for them to learn and appreciate what they have, they are free to make mistakes while we, as parents, reassure them that we are there for them no matter what. I have also learned to accept that each child develops at his/her own pace, that i need to just wait and have faith.
Sometimes i find myself snuggling up to Chloe in the middle of the night. I whisper in her ear "I love you, Chloe" and she responds sleepily with "I love you, Mama".
Yes, that is faith at work. I have waited so long for this moment.
Have a blessed Sunday everyone!